I’m hoping that with the exposure the STJ article gave me, people aren’t so hesitant when I contact them to ask for their participation in the project. Some folks have even contacted me on their own as a result of the article. I have sitters scheduled for this week as well as a few into next week. With each participant, I’m asking for recommendations for other participants and hoping that the project unfolds and grows as more people decide to participate.
If you'd like to read the article in the Selma Times Journal, here is a link to Alaina's article: http://m.selmatimesjournal.com/2017/02/16/portrait-project-captures-essence-of-queen-city/
Below is a "grab shot" of Mark's photograph--I need to do a proper photo of it, but this is just a quick preview of the great results I got from the vinegar/sugar developer that works really well in the humidity here in Alabama.
Here is another "grab shot" of Ruth and Victor--a couple so energetic and genuine, I'm thankful the project led me to discover them.
I discovered this after a session with Lorenzo last Friday that went a little awry when I realized that either the silver wasn’t maintained as much as it needed to be or that the collodion hadn’t aged as much as it should (I actually think it was a combination of both after doing some elimination of any contributing factors). After a lot of experimenting (and a reschedule with Lorenzo!) and with the help of Doug, I was able to get my chemistry back on track.
My notes from the past week let me know that I really need to sun and filter between every shooting day and that my collodion has to age overnight (at least 12 hours) until used. I have also decided to do a test plate at least an hour ahead of time each day before any sitters come. This will let me know that the exposure times are similar to before and if the plates do not come out as planned, I can get things back on track as soon as possible.
Up next, varnishing of acceptable plates!